Award-winning Low Carb Program celebrates fifth anniversary
The multi-award-winning Low Carb Program is celebrating its fifth anniversary of helping people to improve long-term health goals.
The behaviour change platform, developed by Diabetes Digital Media, supports people so they can achieve their selected health goals. It is tailored to each user, depending on their disease profile, ethnicity, age, gender, and location. It also provides remote-monitoring capabilities for effective population health management.
People who sign up to the Program get access to:
- Education: NHS-approved nutrition streams with meal plans and resources tailored to disease, budget, dietary preferences, cultural and social norms. Users and/or healthcare professionals can choose the most appropriate education stream: low carb, Mediterranean, or balanced.
- Coaching: unlimited support from Health Coaches to keep you accountable including weekly virtual meetups and check-ins.
- Community: speak to people with similar goals and take part in meetups.
- Classes: at-home workouts, yoga flows and relaxation exercises tailored to fitness level.
- Health tracking: track weight, activity, sleep, mood, blood glucose, medications and more with data-led feedback to support behaviours.
- Wearables: sync and connect with FitBit, Apple Health, Google Fit, Samsung and Withings.
- Recipes: over 1,300 recipes, updated weekly, tailored to allergies, and dietary preferences.
- Food diary: scan barcodes, search for foods or add recipes from the in-app Recipes library.
- Daily support: fresh tips, news, Q&A, expert opinion, and live classes.
- Personalised care: no-one is the same and that is why Low Carb Program sends Smart Notifications based on behaviours and selects content for you based on goals and progress.
Significant health improvements
Since it was launched in 2015, the Program has supported thousands of people who have maintained long term health improvements. It is consistently demonstrated significant health improvements after one year of membership.
On average, those who sign up lose 7.4kg / 7% in weight, reduce their HbA1c levels by 1.2% / 13mmol/mol average and 40% of participants who start the Program on medication, eliminate it after 12 months. In addition, one in four people sign up to the Program put their type 2 diabetes into remission. From a healthcare perspective, the Program makes an average saving of £117.57 per patient, per year in reduced medication.
The Low Carb Program is available on web, iOS, Android, Apple/Google Watch and Amazon Alexa and additionally provides:
- BAME support: engaging Black, Asian and Minority Ethnicities (BAME) with native-language support, meal plans and recipes localised for South Asian (Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu), Middle Eastern (Arabic) and West African populations.
- COVID-19 support: Low Carb Program provides an approved COVID-19 Education Series with 11 lessons covering how to reduce the risk and spread of infection.
- NHS ID integration: one-step onboarding enables anonymised and interoperable patient tracking throughout NHS systems (launching December 1, 2020).
- Remote monitoring: healthcare professionals can see real-time anonymised progress of patients with a dedicated healthcare professional analytics dashboard.
The Low Carb Program is a Class I Medical Device, MHRA-regulated with CE mark, approved by Quality Institute for Self-Management Education and Training (QISMET) and NHS Apps Library approved. Fellow to the NHS Innovation Accelerator, Royal College of GP’s Innovation Program, and Digital Health.London.
It is the highest Orcha-rated diabetes app used in the NHS (92%) and was ranked the number one app for type 2 diabetes prevention in the NHS.
The Program has helped shape diabetes guidelines across the world and has scooped multiple awards, including Best Technology Platform at the UK Content Awards and Positive Social Impact of the Year at the National Business Awards.
To visit the Low Carb Program, click here.