Managed by tablets which carry a risk of inducing hypoglycaemia (this includes sulphonylureas and glinides)
See INF188/2 (PDF, 95.5KB, 1 page) .
Group 1 entitlement ODL – car, motorcycle
Must not have had more than one episode of hypoglycaemia requiring the assistance of another person within the preceding 12 months. It may be appropriate to monitor blood glucose regularly and at times relevant to driving to enable the detection of hypoglycaemia. Must be under regular medical review.
If the above requirements and all of those set out in the attached information on INF188/2 (PDF, 95.5KB, 1 page) are met, DVLA does not require notification. This information leaflet can be printed and retained for future reference.
Alternatively, if the information indicates that medical enquiries will need to be undertaken, DVLA should be notified.
Group 2 entitlement vocational – lorries, buses
Must satisfy the following criteria:
- No episode of hypoglycaemia requiring the assistance of another person has occurred in the preceding 12 months
- Has full awareness of hypoglycaemia
- Regularly monitors blood glucose at least twice daily and at times relevant to driving
- Must demonstrate an understanding of the risks of hypoglycaemia
- There are no other debarring complications of diabetes such as a visual field defect
They must also be under regular medical review.