By using DiabetesTimes.co.uk, you agree to our terms and use of cookies to enhance your experience.

Diabetes UK issues latest guidance on coronavirus

By Editor
20th March 2020
Charity

The charity has published guidance on its website to help keep people with diabetes and their families safe amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The information provided by the charity is based on the latest guidance from the government.

A Diabetes UK spokesman said: “If you have diabetes, you are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) and according to current government guidance you should be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures, including significantly limiting face-to-face interaction with friends and family if possible.”

How to avoid coronavirus (social distancing)

1. Avoid contact with someone who is displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19). These symptoms include high temperature and, or, a new and continuous cough.
  2. Wash your hands regularly for 20 seconds, each time using soap and water, or use hand sanitiser.
  3. Avoid non-essential use of public transport, varying your travel times to avoid rush hour, when possible.
  4. Work from home, where possible. Your employer should support you to do this. Please refer to gov.uk guidance for employers for more information.
  5. Avoid large gatherings, and gatherings in smaller public spaces such as pubs, cinemas, restaurants, theatres, bars or clubs.
  6. Avoid gatherings with friends and family. Keep in touch using remote technology instead, such as phone, internet, and social media.
  7. Use telephone or online services to contact your GP practice or other essential services.

However, this guidance is constantly being updated. To access more information from Diabetes UK and the latest guidance that the charity is issuing, click here.

Comments (23)

1. Editor says:

Good afternoon,

I hope you’re staying safe during this testing time.

Firstly, I advise you to contact the Diabetes UK Helpline.
    Call: 0345 123 2399, Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm. Email: helpline@diabetes.org.uk

Professor Partha Kar, National Specialty Advisor for Diabetes with NHS England, has said people with any type of diabetes should stay home if they can unless it is “essential” they continue working.

The government is advising people with diabetes to be “particularly stringent” in following social distancing measures. Here is the advice from the government.

Kind regards and stay safe

Emily

2. alisa wilson says:

Thanks for sharing such a useful information with us. I think you should write more on this topic .

3. Karen Abrams says:

My husband has diabetes type 2, has been advised to stay at home but employer wants a nhs letter to enable 80% payments to be given to him but he hasnt recieved a nhs letter, are diabetics going to get this letter,no one has answered my question yet, even at our surgery, he cannot afford to live on ssp but his health is at risk, please can someone give me a answer TIA

4. Ian Maunsell says:

I have type 2 diabetes and I am working from home. My wife works in a supermarket. Should she still be working because I suspect her social contacting puts me at risk.
    Ian

5. Vivienne Anderson says:

Please advise me I’m type 2 diabetes age 59 lm a cleaner in the hospital have a mild symptom of the covid 19 ,my manager said I should self isolation myself, my doctor consult said away from work for 12 weeks but I haven’t received a letter from my GP for work

6. Mark Perkins says:

I am type 2 diabetes but I am s little confused with things. I have not received a letter from the NHS about shielding myself yet my employer has told me I am too stay off work for 12 weeks. I have asked if they will be paying me but they want the NHS letter..

7. Amrick Singh says:

i am a 58 year old type 1 diabetic, i inject insulin once a day.
    I work full time, according to Government Guidelines and the CV19 outbreak, being a diabetic puts me at high risk of catching this virus due to my underlying illness.
    I went into self isloation last week as i had a very bad cold, which included me sneezing a lot and generally felt tired and exhausted, after this seven day period my employer contaced me stating that if i did not have an isolation note i would be required back to work, and as i did not show any symptoms of CV19, ie a high temperature or a dry cough, he asked me to produce an Isolation note, as my doctor was unable to write me a sicknote, i work in a letter delivery office of about 150 people, share a van with another delivery colleague, working in isolation with this many people is virtually impossible, it seems like i am being asked to make a decision as to return to work as you i have no reason to be away from work, even though as a diabetic i am at a high risk of infection, or return to work whereby i could catch the virus, or give it to someone else.
    There seems be no clarification by the Government as to what diabetics should do during this outbreak, i think diabetics are being penalised, on the one hand the Govt are saying we are high risk and on the other hand employers are saying that if you show no symptoms of CV19, you should be at work.
    Are others in the sane situation??
    Amrick

8. liam alexander says:

Diabetes Freedom Review suggests that it is a holistic 3-step system that addresses the root cause of Diabetes and treats it using phytonutrients.

9. liam alexander says:

Diabetes Freedom Review is not a hoax, a review carefully formatted for the people to decide between the medications and a healthy lifestyle suggested in the program. We forget that our ancestors lived a long life who not even held a walking stick as support.

10. Nina Beacham says:

I have type 2 diabetic ( in this country in my country and in the Netherlands I lived I was type 1. I am diabetic since I was 25).
    I also have fybromyalgia and arthritis I now can not have more corticosteroids injections as i had way to many last year.
    I have a friend with diabetis that she received a message from the NHS not to go to work.
    I have another friend with fybromyalgia that she got the same message and she does not even work.
    I ask my manager to let me go for 14 days to self isolate and he does not.
    I work in a butchers i do pork sandwich and it is impossible to keep 2 metres away from costumers.
    I am still waiting that message from NHS.
    I don’t care if I die. If i die I am dead case closed. Who is going to raise my 3 year old though? Why I haven’t got that message that other get, yet?
    Are they sending the messages by last name letter? Unfortunately I have duble barrele name and all though my husband’s name start from the letter B my middle last name start with a P. They always take the P first. ( doctors ect). What is going on. Why we can not find any clear answers?

Register an account or login to comment