Community Diabetes Specialist Nurse, Band 7
CLCHNHSTrust Central London Community Healthcare NHS Trust
We deliver a Tier 2 & 3 Diabetes specialist service across the borough of Merton. The multidisciplinary team consists of Consultant sessions, Specialist Dietitians, Podiatrist as well as Specialist Nurses. The team receives referrals from GP surgeries (Tier 1) as well as local acute hospitals (Tier 4). The team meet regularly for clinical supervision and case discussion.
We are a unique community provider as we deliver DAFNE to patients with Type 1 Diabetes. We also deliver DESMOND structured education to newly diagnosed and long term patients with Type 2 Diabetes.
As a Diabetes Specialist Nurse you will play a key role in delivering Community Diabetes Specialist Services to patients. You will also enable and educate GP’s, Practice Nurses and Community Health professionals in supporting their patients with diabetes in their usual care setting. Along with working and interfacing effectively with specialist Tier 4 services in acute settings.
Excellent interpersonal skills and communication are also required to ensure productive working relationships across acute, community and social care. The role will require leadership experience as well as advanced clinical skills. You will be working in Merton, Wimbledon, and Mitcham and also be required to do home visits.
The service is still being developed and you will be integral to suggesting new ideas for service improvement and innovative ways of working.
As a Nurse with active NMC registration and a recognised diabetes qualification you will demonstrate strong decision making skills with the ability to motivate other non-specialist practitioners into improving their knowledge in the management of the person with diabetes.
So what do you need to join our team?
- To be a Registered Nurse,
- Relevant post registration training in Diabetes e.g.: Masters or diploma in diabetes management
- Independent Nurse Prescriber or be able to demonstrate an ability that will enable attendance of a prescribing course within 6 months of starting post.
- Significant experience of assessing and providing evidence based care to people with Diabetes across Tiers 2 – 4.
- Be able to demonstrate a high level of skill to communicate effectively and appropriately with patients, staff and stakeholders.
- DESMOND &/or DAFNE accreditation is desirable or willingness to undertake training for these structured education courses.
For further information please contact Samantha Kelly, Merton Diabetes Service Lead on 07393 760399 or Samantha.email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to Samantha.firstname.lastname@example.org