Sanofi to discontinue Insuman® insulins over upcoming months
Manufacturers of the human insulin range Insuman® have announced that production and sales of this range will end within the next four months.
Sanofi is set to discontinue the following products by the end of February:
- Insuman® Basal 100 IU/ml suspension for injection in a cartridge (Insulin isophane human)
- Insuman® Comb 25 100 IU/ml suspension for injection in a cartridge (Insulin biphasic isophane human).
The pharmaceutical company is also discontinuing the following products by the end of May and June:
- Insuman® Rapid 100 IU/ml solution for injection in a cartridge (Insulin soluble human) – May 2023
- Insuman® Basal SoloStar 100 IU/ml suspension for injection in a pre-filled pen (Insulin isophane human) – June 2023
- Insuman® Comb 25 SoloStar 100 IU/ml suspension for injection in a pre-filled pen (Insulin biphasic isophane human) – June 2023.
The discontinuation of Insuman® is part of Sanofi’s ongoing strategy to reduce manufacturing complexity by removing low-volume products where alternatives are available from other manufacturers.
This process allows the pharma company to focus its effort and resource on improving capacity for remaining high-volume product lines, including analogue insulins.
Fewer than one per cent of people receiving insulin in the UK are prescribed Insuman® regular human, isophane or isophane pre-mixed insulins, as people with diabetes are increasingly managed with modern analogue insulins.
People currently receiving treatment with any of the Insuman® presentations listed within, should be moved to a suitable alternative treatment under the supervision of their prescribing clinician.
As it will not be an option to continue patients on treatment with these Insuman® presentation past these dates, alternative treatment options should be considered as soon as possible for any remaining patients, under the supervision of their prescribing clinician.
Sanofi remains committed to helping people living with diabetes in the UK and their clinicians. The company continues to act on this commitment through its medicines, services, technologies, and support for the wider community.
If you have any questions regarding this information or would like to speak to a member of the Sanofi medical team, please contact the medical information department:
Medical Information at Sanofi, 410 Thames Valley Park Drive, Reading, RG6 1PT, UK
- Tel: +44 (0) 800 035 2525
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions relating to ordering, please contact:
- Sanofi Customer Services Tel: +44 (0) 800 854 430 (Mon-Fri 9am – 5pm).
Sanofi apologises for any inconvenience that this discontinuation and stock exhaustion may cause you or your patients.