NICE publishes hypertension flowchart covering type 2 diabetes
An interactive flowchart covering the identification and treatment of primary hypertension in people with type 2 diabetes has been published.
It is part of the guideline ‘Hypertension in adults: diagnosis and management’, which aims to reduce the risk of cardiovascular problems such as heart attacks and strokes by helping healthcare professionals to diagnose hypertension accurately and treat it effectively.
The guideline – NICE guideline [NG136] – is for people aged 18 and over, including people with type 2 diabetes
This guideline includes new and updated recommendations on:
- Diagnosing hypertension
- Starting antihypertensive drug treatment
- Monitoring treatment and blood pressure targets
- Choosing antihypertensive drug treatment (treatment steps 1 to 4)
- Who to refer for same-day specialist review
It also includes unchanged recommendations on:
- Measuring blood pressure
- Assessing cardiovascular risk and target organ damage
- Lifestyle interventions
To access the guideline, click here.